Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BMW M1 Physics

Go down 
+8
Jukka Närhi
Frank Verplanken
Alberto Ibañez
Carlo Pozzi
Guillaume Siebert
Tiago Malafaya
Steve Parker
Carl Larrad
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Sep 2010 - 18:55

carl the engine file i sent you still has 470hp at 9000rpm,and with power curve being more progressive its actually slower exiting corners,try it and you will see what i mean :top:
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

Number of posts : 6751
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Sep 2010 - 19:02

Steve i gave it a quick run but i have to go out for the evening in a minute
so i wont be back till late ....

It felt a lot smoother power curve really much nicer to drive and i did a 2:02 at Hockenhiem so
that's a hell of a lot closer to the real laptimes of the day ....Nice one Mate ...

Will try it again, tommorrow perhaps you could upload to the ftp
and the other guys can try it as well ... :clap:

THX
Back to top Go down
http://www.historicsimracing.org/
Tiago Malafaya
Racing Legend
Tiago Malafaya

Number of posts : 3384
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Sep 2010 - 19:13

I think your power curve is better because makes the engine a lot peakier and an engine that goes to 9000 rpm has usually low torque at lower revs and definitely not the whole horses at lower rpm.

For example a honda s2000 gets to 9000 rpm also, but until 6000 rpm it only develops 120 HP, only from the 6000 to 9000 rpm it develops 240 HP
Back to top Go down
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Sep 2010 - 19:40

Have uploaded it to M1 Physics folder on ftp,somebody give it a go :top:
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Sep 2010 - 19:54

Carlo Pozzi wrote:
Carl Larrad wrote:
THX Carlo that would be great ,

Already found it
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Sep 2010 - 20:54

Topic moved by Carl's request Wink
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Sep 2010 - 22:09

Cheers Gui Wink
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 12:58

Hi guys,

Carl pointed me here, so I registered and here I am :hello:

I'm the guy who did the physics for the original mod (HITMAN_M3), and now working on a major revision of them :cowboy2:

Excuse that I do not write in french; while I can more or less understand french when I read it, sadly I can't speak it.

I have downloaded the physics editor, and I am working on a set of revised files. When I finish them, I'll post a link here for all of you to give a try. Meanwhile, I would like to ask all of you which other areas of the car would you like to see modified. For example:

-Tyres: Shall I make compounds harder, so they last a whole race at Donington, f.e.?
-Brakes: Are they too powerful? The M1 was a light car with large wheeldiscs, so it should be powerful when braking, but if you feel it is too much, I can tone it down.

Glad to be aboard :banane:
Back to top Go down
Carlo Pozzi
Pro Driver
Carlo Pozzi

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2009-11-28

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 13:05

Welcome Alberto! Smile
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 13:35

Hi Alberto, welcome Smile .

About the tyres yes I think they should defo be of a harder compound and should last without problem a (HSO) race distance.

I think the brakes are ok personally, but I feel the car is too agile or feels too light. It's almost as nervous and precise as a F1 but weights 950 kg instead of 500 - so that's where, in my humble opinion, seconds should be chopped off Wink .

Anyway thanks for this wonderful mod and more thanks for sticking to it and having the faith to work on it again :drink: :top: !
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 15:55

Welcome to HSO Alberto glad you could make it mate....

There are some Great Drivers here and im sure with there help and your knowledge
on the Physics we can release a V2 Mod that we can all be proud off ..... :clap:

Like Frank Ive never had a problem with the Brakes just the car has always felt insanely fast ...

I Do like Steve's Engine file and your susp file is a big improvement
also the suggestions for the tyres and correct weight gain all seem to be the way forward ... Wink

Wont be around this weekend as Steve and I are going to the Renault World Series
at Silverstone ...So really looking forward to that .... Wink

THX for joining us Alberto it should make working on the Physics a lot easier ... :top:
__________________________________________________________________________________

Where's my Camping Gear scratch
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 20:42

Cheers guys, thanks for the warm wellcome cheers

I'll also be off this weekend to attend a friend's wedding, but I'll be back at full speed on monday. :D
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Sep 2010 - 20:44

Carl Larrad wrote:
Wont be around this weekend as Steve and I are going to the Renault World Series

affraid scratch I'm sure you mean Goodwood Revival :D !!!
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Tiago Malafaya
Racing Legend
Tiago Malafaya

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Sep 2010 - 1:10

Welcome Alberto, it's a pleasure to have you on board :hello:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Sep 2010 - 12:58

I'm happy to report that things are coming along very well with the new physics :clap:

The car feels ow much better and heavier, and lap times are starting to get much closer to the real thing. I'm driving with a pad, using only auto shift and low antilock, and I'm getting 1:14 in Donington national, i.e. exactly the same time the PROCARs did. Same for Monaco, where I'm getting 1:46. While I reckon that good driver (I'm a crappy one, and using a pad) would shave probably some 3-4 seconds from that time, things are now getting much closer to what they were in real life.

Now I need to adjust the cars for high speed tracks like Hockenheim. So far I'm getting 2:09 withe car topping at about 280+ km/h, but in my archives I see that they lapped in 1980 in 2:21 :doh: Can someone confirm which was the correct time? And am I using the correct layout for Hockenheim, the GP79 one?

To reduce lap times in 10 seconds there, I would need to increase drag too much, and I'm not sure if the car was really like that.
Suspect
Back to top Go down
Tiago Malafaya
Racing Legend
Tiago Malafaya

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Sep 2010 - 13:10

http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t35708.html

Fastest lap: Niki Lauda No. 5 BMW M1 2:10,48 187,284 km/h

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 16:46

Ok guys,

I have finished the revision of the car, and have added Steve Parker's engine ini file, which works very well.

The car now feels VERY different, heavier and more like a GT should. It tends to understeer at corner entrance but you can easily make it slide using the gas pedal after passing the apex. Direction changes and chicanes are quite fast, and the lap times are in my opinion OK, but I test with gamepad which is crap. Looking forward to see what you guys can do with your experience and a proper steering wheel setup.

[EDITED] Old link removed, see new file some posts down.

Consider this a beta, because aside from what your feedback indicates, I still have to tweak tyre wear.

Please feedback your impressions and provide lap times, it really helps a lot.

Cheers & happy driving

Last edited by Alberto Ibañez on Tue 21 Sep 2010 - 14:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 17:47

THX Alberto I Cant wait to try ... Wink
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 17:53

Frank Verplanken wrote:
Carl Larrad wrote:

affraid scratch I'm sure you mean Goodwood Revival :D !!!

Nope me and Steve have been doing some early research especially as
rfactor 2 will come with The Renault World Series Wink

I Think you will be surprised what cars we saw there,
Steve has some nice pics to Prove thats its not all modern stuff :hihi:

It was a cracking event some great racing really enjoyed it and would definatly
go again makes me want Rfactor2 even more know :raclure:
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 21:32

Alberto great work mate ive just tried the file quick and it feels great
im loving it ......

It definatly feels slower , im getting 185 mph at the end of the Hockenhiem straight before the
1st chicane it feels slower but still has plenty of power and its still a great challenge to drive ....

I Have an M1 Procar video of the whole of the 1979 Gunnar Nilsson Trophy race at Donnington
i could upload it if anyone is interested .....

Also noticed the M1's used Goodyear tyres in 1979
and i think they all used Dunlop in 1980 ....

I Have back to back Laps at Hockenhiem of 2:01:600's i know this is still a little too quick
but its way better than before :clap:

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 22:41

Yeah, it's too difficult to gauge the real potential of the car playing with a friggin' gamepad Evil or Very Mad but the fast tracks like Hockenheim, Monza and Silverstone are the easiest to adjust the car; simply adding more aero drag will sort it out. What I'm most interested is in seeing lap times in Monaco, Donington and Dijon, for example.

Let's see what other people report and then I'll further revise the car until we nail the correct lap times.

BTW are you using any driving aids? And what aids & driving views are allowed in this league? :hum:
Back to top Go down
Carl Larrad
Racing Legend
Carl Larrad

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010 - 22:57

No driving aids allowed other than Auto Clutch will try another track next ....

I Chose hockenhiem as we have just done a full F1 79 Race there and i wanted to see
the comparison in laptimes with the F1 and M1 .....

I Was also running very little wing which is unusual for me 1-4 ....
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Sep 2010 - 14:23

Wow that's pretty hard ... I'm used to drive with no aids except auto gear shift.

Re the wings you mean in the F1? The M1 one should not be ajustable, are you sure you picked the right car?

Wait a moment ... I just checked and realized that I only added the Goodyear car Sad

I'll fix that in a moment and upload the updated file. May be you didn't use the right car at all LOL

[EDIT]

OK, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?jd7qz2j8by64jbn

You can install over the old one directly. Do some more laps at Hockenheim and report Smile
Back to top Go down
Jukka Närhi
Racing Legend
Jukka Närhi

Number of posts : 1905
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Sep 2010 - 15:40

Nice work with the physics so far! Before I couldn't stand the mod, it felt so unpredictable and snappy and horrible, now it's challenging but very manageable and you feel you've achieved something when you improve your laptimes.

I did a 1:10.860 at Donington, default setup except for some damper changes. I also noticed the left rear brake temperature was minus two billion degrees, the other three seemed OK. Might be something to check into Wink
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Sep 2010 - 15:49

Yes I had noticed that strange bug also, but not yet found what is causing it. Evil or Very Mad

The car seems still too fast, but now I have an idea of the difference between me (crappy driver) with my pad (crappy control method) and a more expert one with wheel & pedals. That was much needed info to further reduce the car's speed.

Keep those lap times in different tracks coming, please, it gives a very precise idea of what I need to tone down. Many thanks :clap:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BMW M1 Physics    BMW M1 Physics  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BMW M1 Physics
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next