Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Petr Hlavac is back online!

Go down 
+23
Thiago Canola
David Jaques
Juha Bos
Mike Becnel
Jason White
Filippo Marazzi
Richard Coxon
Brian Janik
Alberto Ibañez
Jacob Fredriksson
David Sabre
Petr Hlavac
Andre Cunha
Frank Verplanken
Jason Whited
Michael Griffiths
Michal Janak
Grant Riddall
Steve Parker
François Remmen
Richard Wilks
Karel Marciniszyn
Jonatan Acerclinth
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jonatan Acerclinth
Racing Legend
Jonatan Acerclinth

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Petr Hlavac is back online!  Empty
PostSubject: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 20:25

I've had contact with Petr, he contacted me earlier this evening, we had a short chat and this is a summary of his current situation.

Essentially Petr contracted a rare decease called Guillain–Barré syndrome, that is usually picked up at a high age and it affects the body by making the body's immune system attack the body's own nervous system.
[If you want to learn more about GBS, there is several pages on it online, I've had a read about the decease myself. - Jonatan]
Once he contracted it, he became completely paralyzed within 5 days, and that means completely paralyzed, he couldn't move any bodypart, swallow or breath. He essentially became a piece of flesh.
During the first month of the decease, the only thing the doctors could do was make sure Petr didn't die. His heart stopped twice but they were able to save him.
When his condition stabalized after that initial month, the doctors gave Petr the news that he probably would never be able to move again.

After a bit more than that month, Petr was moved to a different hospital in a similar condition, completely paralyzed but stable.
But about 5 weeks ago, a miracle happened. Petr was able to move his thumb.
From that onwards, he's slowly been regaining muscle control and streanght. At the time of speaking, Petr has limited use of his body apart from his ancles and feet which is still completely paralyzed. He's been able to breath on his own for the first time in 2 months and he's able to eat on his own.

He wanted me to pass on this message for you all:
"I'll be back, don't worry about that. Even if I have to use handdriving with pullies and the like, I'll be back.
Typing is difficult for me since I've still got limited use of my fingers which is why it'll take a bit longer before you see me typing on the forum."

I'm sure you will all join me in wishing Petr a continued well progressing recovery and look forward to seeing him back around here in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Karel Marciniszyn
Pro Driver
Karel Marciniszyn

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 21:59

Petr call me few minut ago... I am so happy he did that! From what I know from him, in his case it really was very bad, so he is lucky to be here with us and having a chance of full recovery! I was in contact with his wife regularly so I was aware of his condition but no matter that it was wonderful surprise when I got a meesage from him and later on a videocall...

Last edited by Karel Marciniszyn on Thu 14 Nov 2019 - 10:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://f-easter.webnode.cz/
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 22:05

We've been missing Petr on the track, glad he is on his way to recovery. We had already one tragedy this year in HSO/ISO family, so it's good to hear another one of our Czech friends is not leaving us!
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 22:47

Get well soon mate
Our Dallara teamwork at 2017 Hockenheim91 you won is a race never to forget!
Even if i had to swollow my dangrous driving, which i like :D , ill take anything in return to give you back your strength and spirit you showed that day and fight like a lion to have more such races in the future!

FD
Back to top Go down
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 22:49

My best wishes to Petr and family,and hope he makes a speedy recovery :top:
Back to top Go down
Grant Riddall
Experienced Driver
Grant Riddall

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2015-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2019 - 22:56

Petr, your mentality and will is outstanding. Get well soon and back behind that wheel challenging us. Stay strong :top:
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2019 - 1:07

Hi, great news

get well soon Petr, :top:

i pray we can soon go together to cinema or any other action as in past or meet on track like in Jaguar race which i just watched
Back to top Go down
Michael Griffiths
Club Driver
Michael Griffiths

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2018-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2019 - 1:22

Wow. How awful.

Best of luck Petr, hope you recover soon.

Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2019 - 16:56

Damn...that's horrible.

But you hang in there, Petr. Sounds like you have the will power and motivation to fight this and make a recovery.

May your recovery come quickly!
I look forward to once again seeing you on track in the future.
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Nov 2019 - 11:39

Very nice to hear Petr is on his way to a full recovery :top: Like I told Anicka, I know too well what the Hlavac family went through as my little sister had Guillain-Barré syndrome when she was 6 and for a time we thought we were going lose her - especially since that was in the mid 1980s and science was not as advanced on this rare and nasty disease as it is now.

All the best to Petr and his loved ones, we're thinking of you :hello: Looking forward to see you back on the forum soon Petr, and on the tracks before long :top:
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Andre Cunha
Club Driver
Andre Cunha

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeFri 15 Nov 2019 - 14:57

Please tell Petr that we all are wishing the better.
I believe the doctors had a false start there. GB recovery is variable, and if maybe many dont recover fully, most have enough movement to keep going. I know a bunch of people that kept working and living an apparently normal life. As he said,Im confident he will be able to race again, just need some patience.
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2015-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 10:24

Hi fellow racers Wink

First of all, thank you for your support and wishing me well. Thank you for the spectacle at Laguna Seca and demonstration of driving skills at Tamiami. It was a pleasure to watch.

It's been four months since my disease broke out. The recovery has been going really well considering where I started. I can move all my limbs, I have much better control over my fingers, I can sit and even put some weight on my legs and try to "walk".

I also play mobile games. After a few weeks in team principal's seat in Motorsport Manager 3, I finally moved behind the wheel of a race car in Real Racing 3. I finished 11th, but it felt so good! :conduit: I had to share the news with Jonatan and started to make plans how to get back to HSO/ISO. I guess it could work, I'd just have to fix my hands to the wheel with a duct tape Very Happy Joking aside, I'm still seriously handicapped, I must learn to walk and get back home to my wife and son, above all. But I'll get there, no doubt. And I'm sure about one more thing - I'll be behind the wheel and try to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 in May :conduit:

I'd like to use this opportunity to wish you merry Christmas, a successful 2020 both on and off track. And most importantly, good health to you all and your loved ones Wink
Back to top Go down
Grant Riddall
Experienced Driver
Grant Riddall

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2015-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 11:01

Great to hear from you Petr!! :drink:

Also very good to hear your comeback plans! Something to look forward to and work towards... hows holding a console controller? That could be the next step from mobile racing... get behind the controller on some Forza Very Happy

Keep progressing Petr. Look forward to seeing, and racing you for position on track in 2020!
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 11:15

That is excellent news, Keep fighting Petr.

I look forward to seeing you at the Indianapolis 500. :top:
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 11:19

So glad you're feeling better Petr, great to hear from you. Been missing you on track! :conduit: Hope to see you out there soon!
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 12:48

Petr!!!!!

So glad to hear back from you personally and see you progressing well!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep the fight, that's one you are going to win!! :first: 

As for the Indy 500, you bet you will join us if you want, I will go as far as to redo some physics of a car for you to be able to drive it working around whatever limitations you still have by then.  :yaa:

See you soon and keep us updated  :top: :top:
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 13:25

Welcome back Petr, i am sure we will be seeing you around the track even sooner than you think :clap: :drink:
Back to top Go down
Brian Janik
Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 18:07

Awesome to hear from you dude!!!

Really miss you out on track, always the fighter!
Keep it going, we'll see you again in no time :yaa:
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2015-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 18:20

Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot to me :drink: I'm attaching a picture of my very first steps after 4 months :champ:

@Alberto, that is an extremely generous offer, but let me politely refuse. Gary Bettenhausen was able to drive with one hand almost fully paralyzed. There are no shortcuts at The Speedway, neither should be Wink

Petr Hlavac is back online!  16353810
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 18:32

And they said you wouldnt move again, pff Razz

Amazing stuff Petr, GBS is no joke, kudos for you and the doctors with you that you are walking so soon, Petr Hlavac is back online!  3108518133

Keep us posted here and in ISO, the USAC cars are already there to pick, but there will be many one offs, specially at indy of course, and i am sure you will picking soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 18:55

Yes great to see you standing and moving again  Very Happy

You have evidently lost a lot of muscle because of being in bed for so long, so a good part of how you feel now is just that. When you start building up muscle again it will sure snowball upwards quickly  :top:
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 19:48

Get better soon Petr! We're missing our Czech speedster!
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeTue 17 Dec 2019 - 22:06

Inspirational strength and will power you have, Petr.

No doubt you'll be back in action in no time now.
Look forward to seeing you on the track once more.

:yaa: :clap:
Back to top Go down
Filippo Marazzi
Club Driver
Filippo Marazzi

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Dec 2019 - 0:26

:clap:

Great Petr

:first:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Dec 2019 - 0:30

:drink: Petr!   Great to see you up and about!
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petr Hlavac is back online!    Petr Hlavac is back online!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Petr Hlavac is back online!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next