Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals

Go down 
+7
Richard Coxon
Steve Parker
Filippo Marazzi
Cezariusz Czlapinski
Michael Drechsler
Alberto Ibañez
Petr Hlavac
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2015-01-11

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Empty
PostSubject: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 19:31

Hi guys,

as I have no plans on quitting at all, I decided to upgrade my good old G25 wheel (pedals, respectively). I found this 6 years old video review of brake pedal spring by GTEYE. I's nothing but a progressive spring which replaces the original one. They also offer springs for gas and clutch, so I bought all three. It's brutally overpriced. Three metal springs for 45 euro. Is it worth it?

Well, the first shock came right after disassebling the pedal set. You wouldn't believe how much filth was there after 10 years of use! I nearly threw up. Then I found out that the original brake spring was broken. So I took everything apart, cleaned it and installed the new GTEYE springs. I feel barely any difference with the gas pedal. Clutch is a bit too hard, in my opinion. So I wouldn't really recommend it. But the brake! I'd never believe it could make such a difference! It was always difficult to find the point before front wheels locked up (especially with F1 1971 or CART88). With the pedal behaving way better with this mod, it's so much easier to find the sweetspot and put exactly as much pressure on the pedal as you need. It's just an overpriced spring, but I can highly recommend it to all Logitech G25/27/29 owners, it really makes a world of a difference :top:

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 20:48

G25/27/29 pedals are well known for being absolute bottomless pits of all kind of rubbish, sometimes even hosting bio-hazards. So cleaning and lubing them periodically is very convenient.  

Best mod you can do for almost no money besides your springs is making the pedal arms longer using some metal pieces. You will be amazed at how the feel changes from just adding some cms. of size, the whole arc the pedal makes when moving is bigger and gives you more precision, plus your feet move more naturally and it is harder to get sore ankles.
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:15

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
G25/27/29 pedals are well known for being absolute bottomless pits of all kind of rubbish, sometimes even hosting bio-hazards. So cleaning and lubing them periodically is very convenient.  

Best mod you can do for almost no money besides your springs is making the pedal arms longer using some metal pieces. You will be amazed at how the feel changes from just adding some cms. of size, the whole arc the pedal makes when moving is bigger and gives you more precision, plus your feet move more naturally and it is harder to get sore ankles.

That's actually quite funny, because making the travel longer is exactly the opposite of what everybody is trying to achieve Wink I've sat in several race cars in my life (drove none of them, unfortunately) and what always surprised me was pretty much NO brake pedal travel. Especially the two early 60s F1 cars. Both real cars which raced that weekend - Lotus 21 and the 1964 Cooper, driven to the victory lane by Bobby Rahal at Goodwood Revival 2001 Cool  I also tested some insanely expensive sim rigs designed and produced by real racers and again, it was the brake that impressed me most and was totally different from what I know. Direct drive wheel, buttkickers, triple TV screen, that was all great. But the brake - you must push the pedal with up to 80-120kg pressure to achieve full braking and it has barely any travel. I thought it was strange, but it takes one lap to realize that this really is the way it works and ironically, you have much better control. And this spring mod actually shortens the travel, too.

Regarding bio-hazards... Yep, that's exactly how i would describe what I found in there :urgence:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 21:29

I was referring more to clutch and gas pedal, yes the brake must indeed be short travel but the longer pedal arm is still much better geometry wise. Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 23:07

I'd be interested in getting rid of the HW deadzone. I installed GID again before the race yesterday, and was once again surprised at the amound of wasted travel...
Back to top Go down
Cezariusz Czlapinski
Club Driver
Cezariusz Czlapinski

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2017-12-31

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2018 - 23:22

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
"G25/27/29 pedals are well known for being absolute bottomless pits of all kind of rubbish..."

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Logi_f10

Hmmm... I think it's time to upgrade Wink
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2018 - 9:14

What is that Cezariusz, does it work binary 1-0 ? lol!
Back to top Go down
Filippo Marazzi
Club Driver
Filippo Marazzi

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2018 - 12:35

if can help
some Components for Logitech Racing Wheels here:

https://www.3drap.it/logi-mods/

Smile
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2018 - 16:53

Cezariusz Czlapinski wrote:
Hmmm... I think it's time to upgrade Wink

Wow, dude, what the hell is that? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2018 - 16:55

Filippo Marazzi wrote:
if can help
some Components for Logitech Racing Wheels here:

https://www.3drap.it/logi-mods/

Smile

Thanks for the link, Filippo. It's great to see that there are tons of Logitech mods. One one hand it shows, that there's a lot to improve, but on the other hand it proves that G25/27/29 is an awesome base, favorite, durable and reliable :top:
Back to top Go down
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 0:15

Can get spring set here as well,and cheaper :top:

https://www.mardomedia.com/simulation-hardware/racing-modifications/spring-modifications.html
Back to top Go down
Cezariusz Czlapinski
Club Driver
Cezariusz Czlapinski

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2017-12-31

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 13:40

Peter Hlavac wrote:
Wow, dude, what the hell is that? Shocked

This is a Logitech Wingman Formula pedal set- 20 years ago it was considered as one of the best non FF wheels.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 14:19

Do you also race with the wheel, or just the pedals connected to a different wheel?

Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 18:14

Cezariusz Czlapinski wrote:
Peter Hlavac wrote:
Wow, dude, what the hell is that?  Shocked

This is a Logitech Wingman Formula pedal set- 20 years ago it was considered as one of the best non FF wheels.

Okay, thanks for info. I've never seen it before. My first wheel was a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel. I had it from 2000 until 2008, it served very well. Then I bought a Logitech G25 and I've had it ever since.

Btw, I found a funny commercial for the Microsoft lol!

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 18:17

We've gone a long way since then Laughing

Those early FF wheels just had spring center and rumble/crash effects, I don't think they even reflected front wheels losing grip when the car was understeering. But they were the beginning ... Smile

This was my first wheel for the PC ... horrible and broke not long later, but the change was so awesome from the keyboard it hooked me completely :D

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals S-l1000
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 18:33

Oh dear, 16bit graphics, sub-1000 poly models, CRT screen...

...good old days! :banane:

First wheel was a Saitek R4, after... 9 or 10 years of use (and a number of new potis for the pedals), that one got replaced with a Momo Force, which after 9 years does still work, but is getting a bit long in the tooth, too.

I'm toying with a DIY solution. Anyone knowing of helpful instructions for such an endeavour?
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 19:48

Michael Drechsler wrote:
I'm toying with a DIY solution. Anyone knowing of helpful instructions for such an endeavour?

Depends on what you want. A DIY non-FF wheel is pretty easy to do, but of course you might not want that. If you want a FF wheel, then DIY is not going to be cheap, probably best bet is a good used G25/27 or T300 instead of complicating things.

If I were you and had enough handcraft skills, one thing I would consider is buying a decent 2nd hand wheel to continue racing and then using the Momo black to experiment on a DIY improved one. It is not difficult to modify it to up to 900º rotation and replace motors with more powerful ones, add a real racing wheel etc, there are some tutorials and people who share experience around. Basically it is a matter of reusing the electronics board so that the computer still sees it as a Momo black, but building a beta structure that supports improved mechanics.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq18QSt3WUE

https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/542-momo-racing-black-rotation-mod-from-rsc/

Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 20:03

If I needed a budget set, I'd go for Logitech all over again.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153284111145

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 20:53

This was my first ever wheel. Completely changed GP2 and NASCAR Racing 2 :clap:

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Vintage-Thrustmaster-Formula-T2-Steering-wheel-for-PC
Back to top Go down
Andre Lagunzad
Club Driver
Andre Lagunzad

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 21:35

lurking around and I had to respond to this thread...

this was my first wheel and pedals set, Interact V3, no force feedback just a centering spring that broke after a few months of Fatal Racing and R&T The Need for Speed

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals 913vao10
Back to top Go down
http://blog-of-alaster.blogspot.com/
Gianluca Desposito
Racing Legend
Gianluca Desposito

Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 22:17

I wanted like to buy a shifter add on for my steering wheel... but
I resolve it with this lol!
GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals A6U4_130817560790204954jYsSeUwnJa
Now i have a sequential shifter and handbrake too Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 22:46

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Michael Drechsler wrote:

Depends on what you want. A DIY non-FF wheel is pretty easy to do, but of course you might not want that. If you want a FF wheel, then DIY is not going to be cheap, probably best bet is a good used G25/27 or T300 instead of complicating things.

If I were you and had enough handcraft skills, one thing I would consider is buying a decent 2nd hand wheel to continue racing and then using the Momo black to experiment on a DIY improved one. It is not difficult to modify it to up to 900º rotation and replace motors with more powerful ones, add a real racing wheel etc, there are some tutorials and people who share experience around. Basically it is a matter of reusing the electronics board so that the computer still sees it as a Momo black, but building a beta structure that supports improved mechanics.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq18QSt3WUE

https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/542-momo-racing-black-rotation-mod-from-rsc/

There are a couple of things behind the interes. One is not having enough projects running and have a look at what can be done, probably the most stoopid reasons of them all :D

The other thing is the whole rig getting a bit old, both hand shifters are already fixed, because the pins broke. Generally, the whole plastic stuff annoys me a bit. Everything is creaking and crunching, the wheel becomes slippery with extended use (okay, that contradicts my idea of using a Nardi-style wooden wheel :D ). The pedals are my personal pet peeve, because the whole construction is twisting and bending in a way its just a matter of time until the potentiometers wear out and become unprecise. In the meantime, I need 13% deadzone for throttle and 20 for brakes until I have a steady signal I can work with. I'm not sure if it is due to the construction or the large amount of deadzone, why I have so much wasted space on pedal travel until some signal shows up. So the first idea is to build a new, more solid pedal box, that doesn't twist and bend that easily. Maybe something loadcell based, I gotta have to get my head deeper into the whole stuff. I got an idea concerning base material ('textured coated board' according to my online translator). Being a metal worker by trade and being able to hold a soldering iron, the hardware should be achievable, just getting access to certain tools is a factor. Programming stuff is some whole different thing...

And then, there's the wheel itself, with plenty of noise and slack and stuff. At least a more solid base is desired, and from there, some. And often, I have a desire for a better feedback from the whole thing, which appers to be a lot more work. I don't know how good the Momo is compared to other wheels, as I lack the comparison Smile
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2018 - 23:31

Well then go for a good used G25/27 and improve it to your liking. The pedals in particular can be very much improved -even disassembled and hard mounted in a different position-, and the wheel easily gets a better steering from a real car. Smile
Back to top Go down
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver
Petr Hlavac

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeFri 7 Dec 2018 - 8:43

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Well then go for a good used G25/27 and improve it to your liking. The pedals in particular can be very much improved -even disassembled and hard mounted in a different position-, and the wheel easily gets a better steering from a real car. Smile  

I can't believe it took me 10 years to look for G25 mods :aie:  It always bothered me that the pedals are a bit noisy. Well, there seems to be an extremly simple solution!

Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitimeFri 7 Dec 2018 - 12:33

Stoopid question, does rF and its derivates allow the use of multiple controllers? I've got an old four axis joystick here, where one axis can't be aligned anymore, but else, electronics are fine. Could form the base for a pedal set and in extension perhaps an H-pattern shifter...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals   GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GTEYE brake mod for Logitech pedals
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next