Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th]

Go down 
+37
Alan Forster2
Simon Wattman
Alberto Iquino
Martin Lacina
Brian Janik
Michael Drechsler
Jason Whited
Steve Parker
Philipp Pichler
Dave Miller
Bruno Chacon
Jonatan Acerclinth
Jari Bruppacher
Adam Hackman
John Fuqua
Raul Jereb
Filippo Marazzi
David Sabre
Richard Coxon
Mick Chapman
Greg DellaCella
François Remmen
Scott Urick
Raymond Riddall
Michal Janak
Pascal Mikula
David Jaques
Austin Johnson
Gérard Ryon
Juha Bos
Jacob Fredriksson
Jason Fitch
Petr Hlavac
Alberto Ibañez
Yves Plaçais
Dana Schurer
Jason White
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th] - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th]   Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 May 2018 - 21:40

Michael Drechsler wrote:

Unfortunately, that modification in the wake of the 1973 event is one of the reasons Mel didn't qualify in 1974. Eventually they found out the cage disturbs the airflow to the rear wing, and when they put the configuration back to the standard Eagle configuration, the time ran away to sort the car out...

Jason and me have commented many times how crazy those guys were. I mean, everyone was crazy in motorsports in the 60s, 70s and so on, but there is a whole different level of crazyness that you reach when you go out for 200 MPH laps on a 1000+ HP violent turbocharged 70 kgs car enclosed by a thick concrete wall and you are experimenting with aerodynamics basically "eyeballing" the damn thing and hoping for it to work. I mean, I can think of few things even more dangerous than that when experimenting with mechanics and engineering, but they all involve trying to fly - higher or faster.

Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th] - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th]   Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th] - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 May 2018 - 23:55

Agreed, aerodynamics in race car design were pretty much a complete black science back then, and other stuff that are common tools today were unavailable to race teams and engineers back then, or at least just the biggest of companies could access them (Ford's computer calculated suspension geometry of the GT40 - so space age!).
I don't know what was the exact motivation of the Kenyon's roll cage modification was, but having himself dodged the bullet more than once, Mel maybe wasn't willing to accept all risks anymore, or at least beginning to think about how to reduce some of them. Though apparently they had to learn it just isn't as easy as adding a few pieces of steel tubing.

But then, that kind of experimenting, including the failures, has always been a huge part of the fascination of motor racing to me. Something, who just know 'modern' motorsports with key ready customer racing cars, which are bopped down to a few thousends of a second for oh so exciting racetainment just can't relate to...
Back to top Go down

Indianapolis 500 Time Trials [May 13th]
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9