Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Our favorite racing books/biographies

Go down 
+25
Mathieu Leclerc
François Remmen
Jacob Fredriksson
Timo Vermeersch
finally gone :)
Mike Becnel
Peter Blom
Jonatan Acerclinth
William Néron
Richard Coxon
David Jundt
Abat Hernaez
Carl Larrad
Greg Hunt
Gianluca Desposito
Jukka Närhi
Diego Dário
Frank Verplanken
Ben Paulet
Karel Marciniszyn
Gregory Letellier
Alberto Ibañez
Antoine de Mautor
Guillaume Siebert
Jason White
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

Our favorite racing books/biographies Empty
PostSubject: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar 2012 - 23:18

This thread is for racing books that we have read and recommend to our fellow simracers.

Last year I read the much touted biography of James Hunt, simply titled "Shunt"

Our favorite racing books/biographies 41pb127CnrL._SL500_AA300_

700 pages of dense reading, but it was well worth it. Learned a lot about the man, his madness and his methods.
Quite a lot about his personal life and his upbringing, and a lot of great anecdotes from the circuit -- In particular about the 1976 season and all the behind-the-scenes trickery that went on in the last weeks of the championship...

Anyone else read this? If so, what did you think?
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeMon 5 Mar 2012 - 23:26

Good topic Jason Smile
700 pages about James Hunt, that must be interesting. Reading english doesn't scare me, maybe i'll give it a shot one day, thanks Smile

I have recently finished this one :

Our favorite racing books/biographies 514J97JPMDL

Amazing photos, interviews, stories and technical stuff from this series. :top:

And I also love my small collection of CART/Indycar Autocourse yearbooks :D (got all books from 1988 to 2001).

And now I have to finish reading this one :

Our favorite racing books/biographies Inside-imsas-legendary-gtp-race-cars-the-prototype-experience
Back to top Go down
Antoine de Mautor
League Owner
Antoine de Mautor

Number of posts : 3617

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 9:19

Our favorite racing books/biographies Clark510

I've read this one and it was very good :top:

Our favorite racing books/biographies $(KGrHqR,!igE5hBiV4WcBOeGYEVnhw~~_35

This one basically gave me my love for motorsports, if you notice my birthdate you'll find out that I wasn't very old when I first read it :D Provided as well the inspiration for the WSC 89 that I organised here back in 2009, and which was a great success http://historicsimracing.123.st/f14-1989-wsc cheers
Back to top Go down
http://files.historicsimracing.org/
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 9:28

Yes great topic Our favorite racing books/biographies 12028

I am a much faster reader than racer, in english, german or even french Our favorite racing books/biographies 228364 so I consume books at an awesome rate, much faster than gas on a Hemi 448 pig

I recently readed Donohue's "The unfair advantage", and just finished this one, which was a great read with lots of interesting stuff:http://www.amazon.com/Supercars-Charger-Daytona-Plymouth-SuperBird/dp/1574271067

Next up is the recently released: "M1: The Story", but I will sure get the ones here, nice recommendations Our favorite racing books/biographies 652294 The 700 page Shunt book should be good for two weeks me thinks What a Face

Quote :
This one basically gave me my love for motorsports, if you notice my birthdate you'll find out that I wasn't very old when I first read it Our favorite racing books/biographies 788525 Provided as well the inspiration for the WSC 89 that I organised here back in 2009, and which was a great success

It is weird that after such a great and succesful series, the IMSA one had to be cancelled due to not enough drivers Suspect Sad, as nowadays I would have joined it gladly ...
Back to top Go down
Gregory Letellier
Club Driver
Gregory Letellier

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 11:32

book very complete on F1 technics : Formula One technonlogy by peter wright (ex lotus designer)

Our favorite racing books/biographies 51HWFXMENNL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
Karel Marciniszyn
Pro Driver
Karel Marciniszyn

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 12:06

because our country has that history behind iron courtain and it is a small market, there never was enought motorsport books...but we have one man, which is always great topic - František Šťastný, he raced on Jawa in motorcycle WC and of course on IOM TT where he ebcame a living legend for his great memory - he was able to learn the whole track after few laps and if for comes down he was one of the fastes no matter his bike simply because he can drive it "blind"...he was not only great driver but also great storyteller so all books and articles about him are full of humor and very readable. I can remeber exact name of the books but I read it in a few evenings and have lot of fun...

Our favorite racing books/biographies Frantisek_stastny_postava

EDIT: I wasn´t right...in fog he won TT practise..so he was not one of the fastest...he was fastest :D
Back to top Go down
http://f-easter.webnode.cz/
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
Ben Paulet

Number of posts : 8291
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 14:26

I had a friend at the school who had a motorcycle 50cm3 Jawa. It's been 20 years since I had not seen that name. :D
Our favorite racing books/biographies 20110810
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 15:17

Considering the beautiful women you can see in the Chez republic, they could have chosen a prettier one for the add Our favorite racing books/biographies 822172
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 15:32

Nice topic :top: Especially now that I'm without internet at home, gives me the opportunity to catch up on my reading :aie: ! Like these two I had bought last year but had yet to read :

Our favorite racing books/biographies Aston-martin--bertin

Our favorite racing books/biographies 4166_cav_113173

Nice reads, nice pics, the FIAT one especially is more detailed as it covers a smaller time period for the same number of pages.
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Diego Dário
Experienced Driver
Diego Dário

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 16:15

Antoine de Mautor wrote:

Our favorite racing books/biographies $(KGrHqR,!igE5hBiV4WcBOeGYEVnhw~~_35
Provided as well the inspiration for the WSC 89 that I organised here back in 2009, and which was a great success http://historicsimracing.123.st/f14-1989-wsc cheers

Any chance for a Group C championship for rFactor this year at HSO? i think i asked this to someone here months ago,but i don't remember the answer. scratch :drink:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 16:22

The admins have defined the Championships for this year already, so unless they change their mind I think you shouldn't expect one. However, they continuously surprise us with great Opens, so let's keep the hopes up Our favorite racing books/biographies 420535
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:07

I plan to start reading this book by Innes Ireland:

Our favorite racing books/biographies 51Ke6tMI4ML._SS500_\

Originally published in 1970, this book is about an 11,000 mile race from London to Sydney. Having read accounts of of Ireland's tendency to get into trouble, I'm hoping this will be an entertaining read. Has anyone in the HSO community read this?
Back to top Go down
Antoine de Mautor
League Owner
Antoine de Mautor

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:16

Talking about Innes Ireland, I read this one last year :

Our favorite racing books/biographies $(KGrHqF,!icE1N,OSG3mBNblp+cgf!~~_12

A great read and an interesting point of view on the wealthy aristocracy revolving around the world of motorsports in the late 50's early 60's.
Back to top Go down
Jukka Närhi
Racing Legend
Jukka Närhi

Number of posts : 1905
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:42

Our favorite racing books/biographies 51iVpKrWI7L._SS500_

I would've liked it to be a bit longer and more thorough in places but I really can't say anything BAD about the book. Great read and a great driver Cool
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 6 Mar 2012 - 19:59

Antoine de Mautor wrote:
A great read and an interesting point of view on the wealthy aristocracy revolving around the world of motorsports in the late 50's early 60's.

Knowing the way Innes Ireland was unceremoniously chucked aside by Lotus, I'm sure he had plenty of sharp things to say about the auto racing aristocracy of his day.

Last year, I read this account of the 1971 racing season:

Our favorite racing books/biographies 19822

Lots of statistics throughout; almost pedantic in its detail (okay, completely pedantic) but interestingly, not dry...
You felt like you were actually at each event, immersed in the minutiae of the sport.
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 7 Mar 2012 - 21:18

Jason White wrote:
Knowing the way Innes Ireland was unceremoniously chucked aside by Lotus, I'm sure he had plenty of sharp things to say about the auto racing aristocracy of his day.

Last year, I read this account of the 1971 racing season:

Our favorite racing books/biographies 19822

Lots of statistics throughout; almost pedantic in its detail (okay, completely pedantic) but interestingly, not dry...
You felt like you were actually at each event, immersed in the minutiae of the sport.

I love the Pritchards, among the best annuals of their days ! And Nigel Snowdown pics <3 :top:
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Jukka Närhi
Racing Legend
Jukka Närhi

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 7 Mar 2012 - 21:31

Our favorite racing books/biographies Bentley_gmcq_cv_large
Ater reading this one I couldn't help thinking it was a surprise they actually managed to make the film Neutral
Back to top Go down
Gianluca Desposito
Racing Legend
Gianluca Desposito

Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeThu 8 Mar 2012 - 9:50

I read this book, perhaps the only one about the races, i have a little book about Ferrari Enzo and his drivers but not finish to read. Smile

Our favorite racing books/biographies Mansell
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar 2012 - 14:59

Our favorite racing books/biographies 51pWUjP0I2L._SL500_AA300_

I remember saving up weeks of allowance money just to buy this book. Still one of my favorites. Amazing photos throughout.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 20:23

Jason White wrote:
I plan to start reading this book by Innes Ireland:

Our favorite racing books/biographies 51Ke6tMI4ML._SS500_\

Originally published in 1970, this book is about an 11,000 mile race from London to Sydney. Having read accounts of of Ireland's tendency to get into trouble, I'm hoping this will be an entertaining read. Has anyone in the HSO community read this?

So far, so good :top:
Back to top Go down
Jukka Närhi
Racing Legend
Jukka Närhi

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr 2012 - 15:10

Our favorite racing books/biographies Sol_9901991122_pic1_z1

This arrived today, along with three books (probably not racing-related) by Julian Clary.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr 2012 - 16:24

I just put down an excellent book about NASCAR, covering its starts to the mid 70s. Magnific read, well documented, and most important UNOFFICIAL Twisted Evil so it tells you what Big Bill France never would have Our favorite racing books/biographies 788525

http://www.amazon.com/Real-NASCAR-White-Lightning-France/dp/0807833843

Next up is Guillaume's recommendation about GTPs, which arrived here last week Our favorite racing books/biographies 652294
Back to top Go down
Greg Hunt
Racing Legend
Greg Hunt

Number of posts : 4322
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeWed 11 Apr 2012 - 17:44

tres bien fait , grosse partie sur les techniques de pilotage , talon pointe , appel contre appel , les points de corde , les freinages etc etc ( reste plus qu a les mettres en pratique :aie: :aie: ) , ca parle aussi de sponsoring les budgets , les reglements etc etc . en gros tout ce qui tourne autour du pilotage en rallye .

Our favorite racing books/biographies 5179ce10
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeSat 28 Apr 2012 - 0:08

I just bought the IMSA GTP yearbooks from 1988 to 1993 here (5$ per book, which are around 190-200 pages Shocked ) : http://store.alms.com/home.php?cat=73 cheers
Back to top Go down
Antoine de Mautor
League Owner
Antoine de Mautor

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitimeSat 28 Apr 2012 - 1:09

Whaoo! I bought 1971, 88, 89, 90 and 91 cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our favorite racing books/biographies   Our favorite racing books/biographies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our favorite racing books/biographies
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next