Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Horrible crash in Spa F2-race

Go down 
+3
Richard Coxon
Pascal Mikula
Timo Vermeersch
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Empty
PostSubject: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 17:21

The F2-race at Spa saw a horrible crash. Hubert lost control on top of the Raidillon and Correa collected the spinning car. Both have been helicoptered to the hospital and at least one of the two is in critical condition.

Short movie here.

Timo
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 18:09

Timo Vermeersch wrote:
The F2-race at Spa saw a horrible crash. Hubert lost control on top of the Raidillon and Correa collected the spinning car. Both have been helicoptered to the hospital and at least one of the two is in critical condition.

Short movie here.

Timo

It's quite..I'll call it disgusting to call it a fatal crash already. Even the article you linked calls it a fatal crash (if I can trust Google Translate and my limited knowledge of the Dutch language); Wikipedia articles say that one of them died or something like that. For sure horrible, I watched it and, to be frank, don't think I want to recall the words that came out of my mouth but I don't like speculating on drivers' conditions as of now. Let's hope that there won't be the bad news later today.
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 18:09

Yes I've seen it. Unfortunately Hubert has passed away Sad

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/hubert-spa-francorchamps-fatal-crash/4526124/
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 18:11

Richard Coxon wrote:

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/hubert-spa-francorchamps-fatal-crash/4526124/

Oh my God..i'll take back what I said. Horrible.. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Gabriele Maruca
Club Driver
Gabriele Maruca

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2013-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 20:50

Richard Coxon wrote:

This calls for, at the very least, either a silent minute or a honour lap with all cars in parade. Just to show respect.

Also, can you hear it? It's the sound of the "STOP RACING, IT'S DANGEROUS!" army.
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSat 31 Aug 2019 - 21:06

RIP Anthoine Hubert Sad
I hope they wont race on sunday without any changes on the track or even cancel the final race. Tragic loss.
Thoughts are always with Juan Manuel Correa, it looked horrible.
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSun 1 Sep 2019 - 2:39

I think both were trying to evade the car of Alesi, who lost control by mechanical issue, he was also missing his rear wing afterwards Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
David Jaques
Pro Driver
David Jaques

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2013-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSun 1 Sep 2019 - 4:32

unfortunately this was pretty much a worst case scenario. changing the track or canceling the f2 race will mean nothing if they still race f1. they have very similar testing requirements. the car had already been into the wall and sidepods cracked/damaged. the angle that the 2nd car came in at and location were also pretty close to worst case. they test for this type of impact once, the 2nd time things are hit it just won't be as resilient.

teams will make things light as possible to meet the requirements. the materials primarily in use are very much on the brittle side; will crack/shatter before deforming/bending. having a 2nd impact requirement will surely change the overall construction. the way the cars are engineered to break apart to shed energy has saved many lives, some of the escapes have been amazing. it just leaves the driver very vulnerable to a secondary impact when much of the car has already been lost.

very sad, hopefully lessons can be learned to make things better in the future.
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitimeSun 8 Sep 2019 - 9:59

We nearly lost a F3 driver yesterday thanks to some sausage kerb...

pale

Looked horrible how it caught air, heard a vertebrae is cracked but the halo prevented worse for Peroni.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horrible crash in Spa F2-race   Horrible crash in Spa F2-race Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horrible crash in Spa F2-race
Page 1 of 1