Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...

Go down 
+8
Bob Wilson
Bob Holada
Peter Blom
Jason White
Jacob Fredriksson
Alberto Ibañez
Jason Fitch
Michael Drechsler
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Empty
PostSubject: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 0:20

As much as I enjoyed USAC '73, it was sometimes frustrating to run in a nice position, just become stung by bad strategy a couple of times. Running well within the top 10, the last thing you want is to run out of fuel with one lap to go. And now, CART '88 adds street and road courses, and the manifold pressure can be adjusted from the cockpit. That adds some more variables, and chances to do a lot right or wrong.

So, how do you manage your races? All in, or turn the pressure down and extend your range? Track position or race position? What does a good race setup look like?

Share your thoughts, ideas and wisdoms here! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 1:44

Well, unlike the 91 F1 championship, the Boost level is actually a Boost level and not just a Fuel Map. So running it at 5/5 for an extended period is not going to be a viable thing, you're going to use fuel, but you're also going to abuse the engine. I would expect most will run 3/5 Boost for races(except the Porsche early on) and use the occasional boost up to 5/5 for passing and what-not.

Fuel is Fuel, unless someone actually sets a less than full tank, we're all probably going to be filling it up and running till it's empty. There weren't many, if any fuel mileage races in 88.

All in all, The Ovals will be about speed and some fuel mileage, and the Road/Street races will be about some strategy and staying out of trouble.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 10:12

TBH with yellows there is a large amount of luck involved and staying in or out when a yellow appears is always a gamble. The only thing I can recommend is that, no matter what you did during the whole race, you try to have enough fuel for a full last stint, as that is usually the moment when less yellows will happen (Less cars on track). So if you can do the last 1/4 of the race without pitting, chances are you will see many people ducking into the pits and giving up their position to you.
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 11:16

If you know roughly how far you can stretch a fuel load, you can be as flexible as you want. That's how I won the Phoenix race last year. The last stint is what matters the most, in a caution heavy race, track position is secondary to fuel load. Making the last stop first (if you understand me), is vital!
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 17:45

Regarding strategy for the Checker 200, the main thing to remember if you want to win is this: do not go down a lap.  On a short oval like Phoenix, once you go a lap down, it is nearly impossible to recover from that.  This means pitting under yellow whenever possible, and if that isn't possible, trying to stretch your fuel window longer by managing the boost.  In this series, we will be deviating a bit from historical precedent by closing the pits when a yellow is initially thrown.  This will give the pace car a chance to collect the field and minimize any chance of a scoring error.  This unfortunately takes some of the gamesmanship out of pitting under yellow, but a stop under yellow is still far more preferable than a stop under green.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Mar 2017 - 23:59

@creators of this mod. What are in general the best chassis?

1 Penske
2 LolaT88
3 MarchC88

? Does this order differs between roadcourses and ovals?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeTue 21 Mar 2017 - 0:44

Peter Blom wrote:
@creators of this mod. What are in general the best chassis?

1 Penske
2 LolaT88
3 MarchC88

? Does this order differs between roadcourses and ovals?

The readme has a section that addresses this I believe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Mar 2017 - 12:53

Race strategy....
At this point my main strategy is how to stay out of everybody's way with the March86. After my last practice it appears that I will stay high and let faster cars pass on the inside:aie: .

BoB Holada
Back to top Go down
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Mar 2017 - 14:08

Almost impossible to drive really close behind someone. With 22 second laps a lot of people will get lapped before they know it :hum:
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Mar 2017 - 16:38

Indeed, drafting is pretty tough on this track. Still gotta try a thing or two setup wise. Way too much understeer following other cars. Its not unexpected, but I quickly loose to much...

So far, I got a race setup I'm pretty happy with, but my main problem will be to restrain myself. It still feels nice when you're already to fast. And suddenly, there's the wall...

Thanks for all your comments, thoughts and input here Smile
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Mar 2017 - 17:21

Peter Blom wrote:
. With 22 second laps a lot of people will get lapped before they know it :hum:

Lap 11 by my calculations
Back to top Go down
Bob Wilson
Club Driver
Bob Wilson

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2016-03-15

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Mar 2017 - 17:52

Watch the draft exiting the turns. You can loose the car in an instant! Especially turn 4.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 24 Apr 2017 - 16:34

I didnt want to start a new topic for Indy500 (before official one opens up), so Id continue this one.

First, just a small notice for admins, I dont know if it could cause any further problems (expecialy in time trials), but after completing a lap (or more), and next time entering the track, the lap counter adds additional 3 laps.. so, if I completed 2 laps, and go to garage, next time I enter, the counter states Im starting lap #6!

Second, maybe it could be practical for us one-offers, to determine, or at least express our wishes for car selection prior than official car selection begines. Simply, to avoid 15 Penske wishes, or simmilar Smile

Maybe to exchange some experience (setups) here, to pick the best option, with help from some oval gurus ( CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... 811692321 ) in advices and suggestions..

At this moment, Id like to pick(get) the Lola/Buick combo, I feel very, very comfortable in it..
I dont know what should be race lap times, Im arround 45,5-46...

:yaa:
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeMon 24 Apr 2017 - 17:18

Raul Jereb wrote:

Second, maybe it could be practical for us one-offers, to determine, or at least express our wishes for car selection prior than official car selection begines. Simply, to avoid 15 Penske wishes, or simmilar Smile

I think it's the "first come, first served"-principle for the one-off Indy cars? scratch
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 7:20

Raul Jereb wrote:

First, just a small notice for admins, I dont know if it could cause any further problems (expecialy in time trials), but after completing a lap (or more), and next time entering the track, the lap counter adds additional 3 laps.. so, if I completed 2 laps, and go to garage, next time I enter, the counter states Im starting lap #6!

Yeah, I'm running into this as well.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 9:49

mmm

seems i totaly misunderstood the one off rule
so now i have to wait for the 8th of may to see whats left for indy500?

and Balestre keeps my phocus on the 91 tracks by changing rules :aie:

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 10:12

Jason Fitch wrote:
Raul Jereb wrote:

Yeah, I'm running into this as well.

I'm not sure that I understand this. When you say "next time entering the track" you mean if you do a lap or more and then quit to garage, when you go to track again it adds you 3 more laps? Or if you exit the server and then come back again?

Either way it should not be a problem for the official qualy because you are supposed to just enter once the track, exit the garage, do your 4 timed laps (5 rfactor laps as it counts the exit lap) brake after s/f line and quit. Weaving your attempt means you brake and quit, reentering the server on a new time slot given to you by the admin, so again no problems there.

But we will have a look and ensure it does not affect the race lap count.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 10:41

Upon reentering from garage. I dont know if those extra laps are added upon entry or before that, on exiting track.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 11:13

@jason and Alberto

did you guys include the tdf patch i made last year in the download or you forgot? Question
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 11:21

Not sure about that, but IIRC we decided we would not be doing changes to JP's tracks as he didn't like that.

Quote :
Upon reentering from garage. I dont know if those extra laps are added upon entry or before that, on exiting track.

Was that in qualy session? IIRC some oval tracks will count you the maximum qualy laps allowed for each "attempt", no matter if you do all the laps or not.  So that you can only effectively exit to track and try to qualify once during each session.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 13:55

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

Was that in qualy session? IIRC some oval tracks will count you the maximum qualy laps allowed for each "attempt", no matter if you do all the laps or not.  So that you can only effectively exit to track and try to qualify once during each session.

No, it was during practice session.
I wasnt looking my lap status while in rf Monitor window, since I was fooling arround in garage and on track. But after few attempts I noticed Im driving my 40+ lap, which was quite odd! Then I tryed few times to exit the track to garage and back on track and noticed Im on lap which is 3+ than the last I drove.

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 13:56

Thanks for the heads up, will investigate :top:
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeFri 28 Apr 2017 - 18:55

It's actually happening when you go back to the garage. For Example, I go out and do a Q run, so I run my out lap plus the 4 timed, run out of gas after the line so I Exit to the garage, when I get to the garage, I have my blank out lap, plus the 4 timed laps and then 4 more blank laps after that, so for a 5 laps run It shows that I've done 9 or 10 laps.

Also, the track replay is lagging and warping the car badly, When I try to watch my own laps or someone elses for that matter, the cars will frequently warp over into the grandstands and then snap back onto the track, they're also just generally warping around the racing surface.

It's the same thing that you see in the Phoenix livestream, only it's happening when it shouldn't be, i.e. When people have stupidly good pings and sometimes it's happened to me running an offline testing session.
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeWed 10 May 2017 - 15:30

Probably as good a place as any to put this question.

Is there possibly some technical data on these 88s floating around somewhere on the forums. I can't seem to find anything, and the pdf included with the mod doesn't contain the data I seek.
Just wondering if anyone's ever laid out anything comparing the specs on the cars, etc etc etc.

Trying to figure out how the heck to get this March 87C Cosworth to GO at Indy.
This little pig is a rolling chicane!!!...currently.

Any help would be appreciated. Seems no matter what I do I can't get the power I need from this little monster.

:chinois:
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitimeThu 11 May 2017 - 19:23

Jason Whited wrote:
Probably as good a place as any to put this question.

Is there possibly some technical data on these 88s floating around somewhere on the forums.  I can't seem to find anything, and the pdf included with the mod doesn't contain the data I seek.
Just wondering if anyone's ever laid out anything comparing the specs on the cars, etc etc etc.

Trying to figure out how the heck to get this March 87C Cosworth to GO at Indy.  
This little pig is a rolling chicane!!!...currently.

Any help would be appreciated.  Seems no matter what I do I can't get the power I need from this little monster.

:chinois:

After reading the notes in the Indy 500 threads and putting in a few laps myself I'd be willing to bet money that you're scrubbing off to much speed in the turns. Are you getting the car down to the lines in the center of the turns?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...   CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CART '88 Setups, fuel and race strategies...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next